The Blog of Bill.

Bill Camarata types to you with musings that might actually mean something to him, and you, too! Jandek reviews. Music He's listening to, and making as well. Technology opinions. Read it because it's there.

Monday, January 24, 2005

Blue Corpse

Jandek album #15, Blue Corpse. Released in 1987.

This is the most recent Jandek album that I have a vinyl copy of to compare versions of. I have five others: Ready For The House, Six And Six, Later On, Nine Thirty, and Telegraph Melts. The CD re-mastering of all of these are poor in my opinion, and I have a standing offer for anyone who buys a copy of D.Verada's new album Cheese Sandwich through the mail (see the veebosonic link to the right). To prove that you already own a copy, photocopy the back of your jewel box of any of those CDs. Make it so I can see the name of the album, the song titles, the Corwood address and the bar code. Then send it to me along with your paid order. I will send you a copy of my vinyl rip on CD of the respective disc. Mind you, I will not send any Jandek vinyl rips to anyone who has not already invested in the music themselves, and I will not send them to you if you are not buying a copy of D.Verada's CD. D. feels very strongly about this, as I do. This way, only people who are genuinely interested in both of these independent artists can take advantage of this offer. Now on to the music for Jandek album fifteen.

This album features another guitarist, quite possibly the same guy who played guitar on Follow Your Footsteps. There are similar chord progressions, and standard tuning, chords, and blues progressions that really suit Jandek's lyrics and style. During "Down At The Ball Park", Jandek says, "...take it, Eddie." Maybe Eddie is the other guitarist.
The first two songs have a different singer, as well. Maybe it's the same guy who is playing the guitar. "Harmonica" is simply harmonica playing for five minutes. "House Of The Rising Sun" is not exactly a cover of the classic blues tune, because the music sounds entirely different, and the melody surely isn't the one you're used to. Then there's the words. OK, they're uh, similar to the original. Then there's the last cut, "One Minute", which is one minute long, with six bonus seconds. Drums. Talking. Then an abrupt stop.
It all boils down to a randomly constructed, but exactly wonderful Jandek record. This is one to recommend, because it's got the widest variety of Jandek sounds to it, and enough stuff that is serious to let you know what Jandek is really about. This one's my favorite so far.

This was Jandek's 15th album. Right around this time, the Spudlok album BIH! was recorded. The CD version, hopefully out later this year on veebosonic, has a tribute called "Ode To Jandek". Here's the words:

JANDEK IS GOD!! (4times)
Flipping my analog radio dial
I came across a station worth my while
The DJ's name is Evan Ford
Playing strangeness someone dared to record
Saturday mornings on B-W-C
On a show lasting one AM to three
Evan tells us we're about to hear God
And through the grooves we're about to plod
The man's name is... Jandek!
SCREAMING MAN:
Jandek! Jandek! I'm singing this song for you, Jandek.
He plays you every week, and when he does, I feel your power.
Music will never be the same.
You are my Beatles, my Bach, my Mozart.
I love you, Jandek, I really do.
SECOND VERSE, SUNG:
Corwood is the label he's on
For them fifteen records he has done
All of them are very plain
All of them sound quite the same
From his basement he presses them out
With shrieking guitar and shrill shout
He sends out promos and hopes records go
But he never gets played on radio
The man's name is Jandek!
SCREAMING MAN RETURNS:
Jandek! jandek! Your music is sheer genius.
I worship your album covers.
I'm naming my child after you.
Your music killed my plants.
My neighbors claw at my door when your music is on the radio.
I listen to you all day, all night.
Send me your autograph if you can write.
Oh wow-I made a rhyme. I'm rhyming for you Jandek!
Your music is genius.
You've got the brain of Einstein.
Keep screeching that guitar.
Rhythm is not a word. Neither is taste.
I love you, jandek, the God of avant-garde.
Jandek! Jandek! Jandeeeeekkk...... oh, no, no, it's just no good.

R.I.P. Johnny Carson. He was the best at what he did and nobody will ever do it as well again.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Correction Bill..near the end of Ode To Jandek,the line should be : "Neither is che...taste" Ahh, the beautiful splendor of using what was recorded, not taking 18 takes to get it right. Imagine how Child Support would have come out? -Tee

    PS: Spudlok 1 Studios had a great bathroom "echo chamber" diddinit?

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that is definitely the same singer on all of blue corpse...
    just miked different and singing differently...
    but for sure the same singer

     
  • At 1:22 AM, Blogger djn said…

    "Jandek" plays "Eddie's" guitar while "Eddie" sings... Then they trade places. There are definitely two singers and two guitarists on this album.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home